There has been a long history of milling in Wrawby with the earliest recorded reference being in 1585 on a probate inventory of Cuthbert Pears of Wrawby. At one point there were two postmills, one on or near the current mill’s present site and one lower down the hill in the centre of the village.
The current mill is believed to date from the 1760-90’s due to the architecture and building methods used. The first reference to it is in a survey of the Elwes estate in 1810 and is referred to as being on Millfield, Melton road.
The mill was used by villagers and tenant farmers of the Elwes estate until the 1900’s when it was bought by the miller Mr W J Andrew. Mr Andrew had been the tenant miller since 1884. The mill was used until 1940 when damage to one of the sails rendered it unusable and it was retired from use. Due to the war efforts, the loss of skilled labour and suitable materials the necessary repairs could not be made. The Andrew family continued milling using an engine in a granary across the lane from the Postmill until the late 1940’s.
The mill sat unused and grew derelict, despite attempts in the 1950’s to raise the necessary funds to restore it. It wasn’t until 1962 when the landowner applied to have the mill demolished that local enthusiasts and fundraisers formed the Wrawby Windmill Preservation Society and acquired the mill, restoring it to its former glory. It was then opened to the public in 1965.
Since the initial restoration, the Preservation Society have continued to ensure the survival of the Postmill and have at times undertaken large repairs to the mill such as in 1979 when the mill was tail winded and sails had to be replaced due to the extent of the damage.